Of all living beings, it is only the human form of life that is endowed with an advanced consciousness that has the capability to introspect – to learn – to un-learn and to re-learn.
It also has the capability to utilise the knowledge in the best interest for self-development as well to improve the quality of life of other fellow human beings.
Human birth is not just meant for eating-sleeping-mating-defending – the four base activities performed by any living being in this material world.
Our purpose must be to go beyond these four activities and conquer the four eternal miseries of material existence – birth, death, disease and old age.
We are blessed with our ancient scriptures that provides us unlimited knowledge to achieve the purpose of human life.
The knowledge and purport of our scriptures are transmitted through disciplic succession for generations.
It is not sectarian – It is universal and undisputed.
This universe is functioning in an atomic precision and our planet is just a minute dot in this universe!
This precision is controlled by a supreme consciousness or a supreme controller, for which we cannot have an iota of a doubt!
We call this supreme consciousness or supreme controller as the supreme personality of Godhead.
We worship Him according to the best of our abilities:
- We give Him a form and worship as a deity or Archa Vigraha in temples.
- We call Him a supersoul Who resides within the heart of a every living being as Paramatma.
- He also exists as formless and pervade the entire universe as the supreme effulgence or brahmajyoti.
- We also have the personal form of the supreme Lord with four hands each holding discus, conch shell, club and lotus flower as Lord Vishnu in Vaikuntha planets that exists beyond the region of the material universe.
Before knowing the qualities of a Krishna conscious person, it will be nice to know the meaning of Krishna.
There are several meanings of the word Krishna in several contexts but the most common include:
- All-Attractive – It includes everything
- Absolute Truth
- One who stops the repetition of birth and death
Thus, the name “Krishna”: meaning all-attractive can be applied only to God.
God, doesn’t have any material name, but by His transcendental qualities we give Him spiritual names.
The names of the supreme personality of Godhead are synonymous with the supreme personality of Godhead Himself. Hence the word God is synonymous with Krishna.
Qualities of a Krishna Conscious (God Conscious) person:
- Understands that the body and soul are different entities and we are not the body.
- Understands that identifying the soul with the body leads to material existence (transmigration of soul).
- Understands that birth, death, old age and disease are four-fold miseries of this material world and constantly strives to mitigate them by fully surrendering the fruits of the activities to Lord Krishna (God):
karmany evadhikaras te
ma phalesu kadacana
ma karma-phala-hetur bhur
ma te sango ‘stv akarmani
You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but you are not entitled to the fruits of action. Never consider yourself to be the cause of the results of your activities, and never be attached to not doing your duty. Bhagavad Gita 2.47
- Understands that the material body comprising of five elements (sky, air, fire, water and earth) is only an outer garment that is automatically cast off to attain a new material body.
dehino ‘smin yatha dehe
kaumaram yauvanam jara
dhiras tatra na muhyati
As the embodied soul continually passes, in this body, from boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes into another body at death. The self-realized soul is not bewildered by such a change. – Bhagavad Gita 2.13
- Understands that the purpose of this human birth is to free the spirit soul from the shackles of repeated births and deaths.
- Understands that indulging in fruitive activities by identifying with the body leads to bondage.
- Understands that indulging in gambling, intoxication, meat-eating and animal slaughter are indulged by those in the mode of darkness and degrades the soul to lower births and hence totally shunned.
- Understands that only nama sankirtana (chanting of holy names) is the only remedy in this age of Kali.
- Understands that the song of God, Srimad Bhagavat Gita and the literary incarnation of God, Srimad Bhagavatam provides answers to all problems of human life and therefore lives a life based on its profound principles.
I believe I have provided a summary of qualities of a Krisnna Conscious person because the list is quite exhaustive.
A Krishna Conscious person is automatically a virtuous person because these qualities. If inculcated, leads to a pious and satisfying life.
Thus, liberation is assured as per the words of Lord Shri Krishna Himself (Bhagavad Gita) and literary incarnation of God (Srimad Bhagavatham).